Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Why I do not want to choose medicine

Ever since I could talk, I have said that I wanted to become a doctor. Under the influence of a sister who was in nursing school at the time, I soon after came to say I wanted to be a medical doctor. All through middle school and high school I loved science. Every single aspect. Although I attended a classical program in high school, my love for science abounded all. Now having one year done through a university science program, many questions have come into my mind that make me wonder if I would even like to go into science or the medical field.
I love to read, write, create. In science you are bred to create, to come up with new ideas. But for some reason, I wonder if this is really true. They bog you down with so many things to memorize, so many intensive programs. The professors expect you to have no life, except your class. Because of this, you spend your days and nights doing work for every class you attend. Now, I do realize that this is a common reality in every University. But it seems to have more precedence in the mathematics and science.
As a Latin major, my stress level, my anxiety, my dreaded fear of the next level of classes has dissipated. This also, has had made me wonder if I really want to do medicine. I love working in a hospital and helping people. But I also love helping people to learn and share my passion for reading. This puts me at a crossroads. Should I continue with my pre-medical dream since a child, or should I foster my newer love for books and education?
Much to think about in that question over the next few weeks. As for now, I continue to read and search. Search for new opportunities, for a new path, and new dreams. Dreams in which I am happy and doing work that benefits the wellness of others. Until I find this new path, I have come to the conclusion that I happy with what I am studying and doing now. Latin (and reading of course!).

No comments:

Post a Comment